Dundas Aqueduct


Winsley, Wiltshire KAC69.75; Somerset

part of: Kennet and Avon Canal
KandAC mile 70
Boat crossing the aqueduct going eastward, looking from Dundas Wharf on the Somerset side.
Dundas Aqueduct carries the canal over the River Avon, crossing from the east to west sides of its valley.
The aqueduct is a monumental structure in Bath stone, ashlar, rusticated and other stonework; much repaired on the north face by ugly brickwork. The aqueduct is 69 miles 75 chains from Reading.
The stone used for the aqueduct is poor; the brick repairs have been necessary. John Rennie wanted to use brick. The stone came from the canal company's quarry between Limpley Stoke and Avoncliff.
Towpath view of the balustrades of Dundas Aqueduct.
There are three arches, and a grand cornice. The aqueduct was designed by John Rennie, completed 1798. It is 150ft long. The central semicircular arch spans 64ft; the two oval side arches span 20ft. It has recently been given a concrete lining.
Dundas Aqueduct; leaning over the parapet, south face.
Dundas Aqueduct; three magnificent arches, south face.
Dundas Aqueduct; from eastward, looking towards Dundas Wharf.
Dundas Aqueduct; rope marks on the towpath side parapet.
Dundas Aqueduct; north face.
The aqueduct is named to commemorate the first chairman of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, Charles Dundas. He was Baron Amesbury and MP for Kintbury, Berkshire for 10 sessions. Charles Dundas died 1832, after an attack of cholera, and is buried at Kintbury.
Dundas Aqueduct; plaque, south face.
TO CHARLES DUNDAS ESQ. / CHAIRMAN OF THE KENNET AND AVON CANAL COMPANY / FROM ITS COMMENCEMENT A.D. M.DCC.XCIII. / THE PROPRIETORS / MINDFUL OF HIS IMPORTANT SERVICES, / AND HIS UNREMITTED EXERTIONS / THROUGH A PERIOD OF XL YEARS, / GRATEFULLY INSCRIBE THIS TABLET. / A.D. M.DCCC.XXVIII
Dundas Aqueduct; plaque, north face.
TO THE MEMORY OF / JOHN THOMAS, / BY WHOSE SKILL, PERSEVERANCE AND INTEGRITY, / THE KENNET AND AVON CANAL / WAS BROUGHT TO A PROSPEROUS COMPLETION, / A.D. M.DCCC.X. / THE PROPRIETORS / GRATEFULLY INSCRIBE THIS TABLET. / A.D. M.DCCC.XXVIII
John Thomas, a quaker, was superintendent of works in 1803.
According to the minutes of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company the two plaques were put up in 1838, not 1828 which date they carry.
The aqueduct has numerous mason's marks on its stones.
Dundas Aqueduct; mason's mark on south/east end of the cornice.
Dundas Aqueduct; mason's marks, south face.
Dundas Aqueduct; mason's mark under east arch.
Dundas Aqueduct; date scratched on a stone under the east arch.
A railway tunnel is added to the west approach for the line from Westbury, via Bradford-on-Avon, to Bath, the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway.
Dundas Aqueduct; local train going to Bath under the railway tunnel.
Local train zooming southwards out of the aqueduct railway tunnel, towards Bradford-on-Avon.
Dundas Aqueduct; balustrade (and a train).
depth of water (before restoration) 6ft4ins
Gorham, Major: 1920: Kennet and Avon canal and its Marks: Transactions of the Somerset Masters Lodge:: pp.172-182

Kennet and Avon Scrapbook 2000